Friday, March 18, 2011

Reading Readiness


Reading Readiness - Sight Words

Colors

Lil Muallimah doesn't know all her letters and their sounds perfectly but can read the names of colors and color accordingly . To know how she got there read on.

As I mentioned in an earlier post that for all my kids I used the following cards to teach them names of colors as sight words.

"I never felt the need to TEACH colors to my kids. I feel this is one of the things that just happens naturally with time. Kids eventually learn color recognition through their environment: their clothes, toys, food and so much more. After that is established, here is a method I used with my older kids too. I wrote names of colors on index cards with the corresponding .color.  I used these cards in different ways".

Color Cards Method # 1 

As flash cards

Once the kids know their colors I would show them these cards one by one and they would say the name of the color. So while the kids named the color through recognition they unconsciously absorbed the spelling too. I never had to teach the spellings of colors to my kids when it was time for them to write it. They just did it. 

I am still using the cards from when Lil Muallim # 1 was toddler Alhumdolillah

Color Cards Method # 2 

Matching  Colors


Lil Muallimah really enjoys this one Alhumdolillah. She takes out one colour name card from the tub, puts it down,says its name, finds the corresponding color foam, places it on the table and them places the colour name on it. She is all smiles with each match Mashallah Tabarakallah!












Another way of doing it!


Using color matching printables. I got the following from abcteach




You can read in detail about this activity here.

Color Cards Method # 3 

Matching Objects

All small odds and ends around the house come into play for this one. I make a basket loaded with bottle caps, marker caps, bands, beads, small toys etc etc

  

You can read details and variation of this activity by scrolling down  to this activity in this post.

Color Cards Method # 4

Matching Color Name

This is my favorite, because it clearly shows the transition from abstract to concrete with reading readiness.




 


She wanted to do it again and asked for airplanes...

This time she did not even try and match the cards with the word. She just looked up and colored the correct color. Mashallah.






Color Cards Method # 5

Recognizing Color Name in any Print Form

"For this one, all  my kids showed a different way of doing it (depending on their learning styles) but the results were the same. Perfect recognition of color words in any print material. Alhumdolillah"

Lil Muallim # 1 did it with phonic sense (this made him mix up black and blue at times as they both started with b)

Lil Muallim # 2 isn't too crazy about phonics, so he figured out his own way of reading them. He seemed to pay more attention to the size of the whole word and/or other visual techniques, for eg. red is a small word, yellow is a big word, green has two ee's etc  

Lil Muallimah ....... I will wait and see how she progresses.


:):):):):):):):):)




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...